Assistant Technical Director
Summary: Assists the Technical Director in the execution and
construction of theatrical scenery, lighting, sound, and projection for Theatre
and Dance Department Productions. Assists with the
specialized cleaning and safety upkeep of Phillips Academy theaters. This
position is expected to be an Academic year plus support during summer session
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Technical Director with the specialized building, rigging, painting and instillation of scenery.
- Assist the Lighting Director with hanging, circuiting, and focusing theatrical lighting.
- Assist with general maintenance of theatrical and shop equipment.
- Specialized cleaning and maintenance of stage, backstage and shop areas including:
- The transportation of lumber, shop trash, recycling, and metal to appropriate trash sites
- Mopping and sweeping the shop, backstage areas, and stages
- Appropriate washing and cleaning of paint items
- Vacuuming saw dust, splinters, metal shards, etc.
- Supervise the use of the theaters by other school departments such as College Counseling, Admissions, Student Activities, Alumni Engagement, possibly on evenings and weekends.
- Supervise use of theater spaces during summer programing including assisting students and summer faculty with the production of various showcases, final project presentations, dance performance or other performance events.
- Occasional supervision of student use of spaces for rehearsals.
- Assist the Technical Director and Lighting Director supervising student crews in the shop and stage areas to help ensure a safe learning environment.
- Serve as run crew supervisor for student backstage crews during department shows and technical rehearsals on evening and weekends.
- Attend and participate in production meetings for department productions.
- Attend and participate in department meetings as called by the Department Chair.
- BFA or BA with focus in theatrical production preferred.
- Working knowledge of safe use for all shop tools, including, but not limited to table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, drill press, handheld jigsaw, router, belt and disk sander, pneumatic staplers/nailer, handheld drill/impact driver.
- Working knowledge of safe practices when using ladders and aerial personal lift.
- Working knowledge of safe practices in the theatrical rigging and securing of scenery.
- Ability to read and execute technical drawings provided by the Technical Director.
- Knowledge of theatrical lighting and ability to execute a lighting hang and circuit from a plot provided by the Lighting Director.
- Knowledge of theatrical sound systems
- Ability to support the audio needs of groups using the theatre spaces for meetings.
- Ability to lift heavy loads
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Valid Driver’s license
Knowledge of scenic painting techniques
Stage prop construction
Phillips Academy requires that all faculty, staff, and
administrators, subject to disability and
religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, be up to
date with their COVID vaccination, which includes any boosters that have been
added to meet the CDC definition of up to date which now includes the new
Phillips Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Phillips
Academy is an intentionally diverse and inclusive residential community
“committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school in which students from
diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences—including race, ethnicity,
nationality, gender, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity,
religion, and ability—learn and grow together.” The ideal candidate supports
the inclusive and diverse nature of the community. Any offers of employment
will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI and fingerprinting background
checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.