Reporting to the Associate Director, Educational Initiatives, the Applications Specialist
provides support, documentation and training for a variety of software applications to the Andover community including faculty, staff and students. This position oversees, maintains and supports the intranet built on the Communifire platform and will assume a lead role in analyzing usage and overseeing additional rollout of new features to the community. This individual assists in supporting the Canvas learning management system, including the automated creation of users, courses, sections and enrollments from output provided by the student information system. Working in a team environment, the Applications Specialist provides training and support to users of the Microsoft Office 365 environment, including OneDrive and Teams, researches and deploys additional software as requested by members of the community, tests new releases and works with software company’s or vendor’s development team on issues, and contributes to the creation of print and video documentation for all supported platforms.
The qualified candidate will have a BA or BS, preferably in a technical field. Experience in secondary or higher education preferred.
• Serve as first point of contact for user support on the Communifire intranet platform, assisting campus community members with questions, troubleshooting, and collaborating with campus point people to maintain their content.
• Assist with ensuring the daily Unit4 course-related changes are reflected in Canvas. When necessary, run manual updates during heavy add/drop times.
• Install and provide technology support for specialized software in two computer labs, the Language Learning Center and the Polk Lillard Center, which includes instruction in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud and Sony Virtuoso/Soloist.
• Continually learn and update knowledge of educational and administrative tools and platforms supported by the Academy and respond to requests from community members for support, collaboration and troubleshooting. Examples from an ever-evolving list of platforms and applications: EdPuzzle, Extempore, Kaltura MediaSpace, Zoom, Microsoft 365, Adobe Sign, Hypothesis.
• Provide training as needed both in-person and virtual to include formal presentations and informal consultations. Develop written, video, and other digital documentation to help the community use various educational and administrative tools for maximum effectiveness. Provide occasional after-hours support, as needed.
The ideal candidate will have the following required knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Self-starter and curious problem-solver, able to learn and troubleshoot new applications and tools.
• Ability to explain technical concepts and procedures to a non-technical audience
• Ability to stay organized and manage time across various tasks and priorities
• Outstanding customer service and collaboration skills. Strong technical & communication skills.
• Patience and flexibility for a dynamic, changing environment
• Knowledge of Microsoft 365 environment and Adobe Creative Cloud
• Familiarity with a learning management system, preferably Canvas and with Communifire a plus
• Strong knowledge of macOS operating system and ability to troubleshoot basic laptop software/operating system problems. Working familiarity with Windows 10 and iOS a plus.
If interested, please complete an application as well as submit a resume and cover letter outlining the reasons for your interest in this position.
Phillips Academy requires that all faculty, staff, and
administrators, subject to disability and
religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, be up to date with their COVID vaccination, which includes any boosters that
have been added to meet the CDC definition of up to date which now includes the
new bivalent booster.
Phillips Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Phillips
Academy is an intentionally diverse and inclusive residential community
“committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school in which students from
diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences—including race, ethnicity,
nationality, gender, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity,
religion, and ability—learn and grow together.” The ideal candidate supports
the inclusive and diverse nature of the community. Any offers of employment will
be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI and fingerprinting background checks as
well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.