Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Trades
Under the supervision of the Senior Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Maintenance, the Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Trades supervises and directs the staff of the electrical, HVAC, steamfitter, and plumbing trades, for the maintenance, repair and replacement of all campus building electrical and mechanical systems and infrastructure.The Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Trades is responsible for the overall operation of the Electrical & Mechanical department, including budgeting, invoice payment, negotiating and awarding service contracts, and work order management.
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or a minimum of 10 years related facilities experience is required. The ideal candidate will be skilled in the use of IBM compatible computers and related hardware. Experience with SchoolDude Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) a plus. Possession of valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle is required.
The Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Trades will:
• Hire and supervise the staff for the Electrical & Mechanical teams.
• Through demonstrated leadership, provide clear guidelines and expectations for the department to ensure the successful operation and maintenance of the Academy’s electrical and mechanical systems.
• Prepare and manage annual operating budget for the Electrical & Mechanical Department.
• Develop and maintain analytical tools for tracking budget expenditures.
• Negotiate and execute service contracts with outside vendors.
• Participate in 24 hour on-call coverage on a rotating basis with other managers in the department.
• Provide estimates for jobs requested by other departments and the Capital team.
• Review and analyze construction plans and documents, and manage department related projects.
• Assign duties and tasks to the department supervisors and manage their workloads.
• Utilize SchoolDude to review, prioritize, and approve all work orders for the electrical and mechanical teams.
• Approve all purchase orders associated with the electrical and mechanical department.
• Complete the annual performance review for all direct reports as required by Human Resources, ensure supervisors do the same for their direct reports, and engage in a midyear follow up to evaluate status of goals set.
• Manage the compliance for all regulatory required inspections and maintenance, and maintain a filing system, electronic and/or hard copy, of the documentation that demonstrates the compliance has been met.
• Respond to emergencies to minimize inconvenience and disruptions to the campus community.
• Assess maintenance needs in building systems and utilize a preventative maintenance program to address those needs.
• As a member of the Office of Physical Plant team, work with other team members in their respective roles to provide the best possible service to our customers in an efficient manner.
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Maintenance.
When emergencies and/or extreme weather conditions occur, the functions of this position may be deemed essential, and employees must report to work and/or remain on duty during their regularly scheduled work hours or the work hours designated by their supervisors. Supervisors will inform employees when the functions are essential.
If interested, please complete and application and include a resume. A full job description will be provided to candidates selected for an interview.
Phillips Academy requires that all student-facing faculty, staff, and administrators, subject to disability and religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, be up to date with their COVID vaccination, which includes any boosters that have been added to meet the CDC definition of up to date which now includes the new bivalent booster.
Phillips Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service or any other characteristic protected by law. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI, ADP (RMV) and fingerprinting background checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.